Module One: Generosity and Arrogance


The differences between generosity and arrogance.

After a group Skype session, with Adesola leading the session, questions were raised about the differences between generosity and arrogance and how finding a definition between the two would help me develop the way in which I become accustomed to my new work place.

As a performer in training we are told how we are supposed to act towards people in the hierarchy. There is a barrier between the student and teacher by which the teacher is in control of the relationship. This barrier could possibly cause students to be reluctant to expressing certain opinions or ideas as they may contradict those of the teacher. In some cases there is a strict I teach and you learn relationship rather than it being simultaneous. Often a teacher might take a students opinion in the wrong way as they may feel they are trying to overshadow what they are saying and try to take away importance from them. This could often come across as showing off or thinking you know best.  For this reason I often found myself keeping ideas to myself as I wanted to remain 'modest' in the eyes of the teachers.

In the dance company I am in, the company members and directors are treated as equals. The way in which we work is very organic. It is encouraged by our company director to express our ideas to allow for everyone to put in their own input and work together to create a piece. I feel I am being generous in this environment as I am contributing to the overall outcome.

It wasn't until leaving collage that I realised the fine line between showing off and being generous. Being in this company I have realised that sharing ideas to build up on something produces an outcome that is so much better than if it would have been made purely by your own ideas. However, it is in the way that we express these ideas that seperates generosity and arrogance:


- Expressing your ideas and allowing other people to discuss them and change to make them better, is being generous.
- Being at the front of a class but having good spacial awareness is being generous for the person teaching as it adds a different environment to the room and shows you are eager to learn. This is not you saying that you are the best.


These are points that I need to be constantly reminding myself of as they play a big part in the change between being a student and being a professional. Adapting my behaviour in a class situation, in order to do my job best.


Comments

Popular Posts